.NET Bio - Resource links and training request

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

(I am posting this on behalf of El-Sayed Hegazy because I received it as an email - but I think there are links here that would be of interest to a wide range of .NET Bio users)

Dear all .Net Bio Team leaders,

I am a Junior bioinformatician interested in .Net Bio from the first day it released with Microsoft Biology Foundation name, I am C# developer certified MCPD 

I am young scientist model like many in my nation Great Egypt 

Why till now no workshop to introduce .Net Bio for Egyptian scientists and students Biologists and developers 

I try to make this with my little experience in marketing and social networking see the following examples from my small trail to make scientists here know about .Net Bio using my programming skills and Biology background to communicate 

Facebook page check the following link

https://www.facebook.com/dotNetBio 

YouTube video tutorials with my voice for .Net Bio

http://www.youtube.com/user/elsayedhegazy?feature=guide 

and i will proceed may someone find something useful please help me in this issue and create an event here in Egypt to train Egyptian young scientists with .Net Bio 

Alot of Thanks for you

El-Sayed Hegazy

M.Sc. Student - Cairo University.

Bioinformatician - Software developer

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Dear El-Sayed,

I am very pleased to hear you are finding .NET Bio useful, and thank you for creating a Facebook page and a range of instructional video tutorials!

I should point out though that .NET Bio is not an 'official Microsoft framework for bioinformatics' - although the earlier version (MBF) was created by Microsoft Research, there is a big difference between the activities of Microsoft Research, which may create research prototype software, toolkits available for academics or open source software, and Microsoft Corporation which (or course) creates commercial software products. MBF was always intended to be an open source toolkit, supported and extended by the bioinformatics community, and so you shoudl; not think of it as an 'official product' of Microsoft.

Now MBF has evolved into .NET Bio, it is owned by the Outercurve Foundation (not Microsoft) and run by a technical advisory board that includes Queensland University of Technology, Cornell University and Janssen Pharmaceuticals - as well as Microsoft. Anyone is welcome to use it, make contributions, and discuss issues on this forum. As a community-led project, we do not have the financial resources of Microsoft behind us in the same way as if we were a Microsoft-owned project.

In answer to your question about holding a training course in Egypt, though - this is an interesting idea! We could only do this if we could be sure of a reasonable number of people in Egypt that could attend (it would be expensive and time-consuming to fly there and arrange a course for only one or two people). Do you have any idea of how many people would be interested in such a course? If there were enough, we could try to do it.

With best wishes,

Simon

May 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM

A lot of thanks for you wishing the best 

Best Regards,

elsayedhegazy