Web Services

May 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Hi,

I'm starting to know the .net Bio and don't know how to implement the web services for run the blast using web forms.
The sample module 7 the training kit .net Bio was built utilizing WPF and I want to make using web forms.
Can anyone help me, with samples?
Thank you!

Paulo
May 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Edited May 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Hi Paulo

The most of the .NET Bio proof of concept applications were made in WPF, I think one of the reasons is the estetic and performance aspects, you should learn the bases of WPF, also I think begin with asp.net will be an amazing new approach for .NET Bio, tell me if you want to talk about this. if you use a real MVC model (not the framework, however may work) you could use Bio.Web.Blast Namespace to make a web service, i suggest you too take a look to WebServices Members.

Cheers,

Leo
May 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Edited May 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Hi, Thank you for help, helped me very. I'm studying the bases the WPF, how your orientation. But how I'm learning about .net Bio still have some doubts the utilize a namespace Bio.Web.Blast. How I'm building a app web about bioinformatic, want to implement a algorithm using web services with blast tool. If you can help me with sample the app web that uses namespace Bio.Web.Blast or with some tips about the subject, I would very.
Very thank for response and tips.

Paulo
Coordinator
May 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Hi Paulo,

Here's a very simple example of a Windows Forms application that takes a single sequence and submits it to NCBI BLAST. You can pick the database and program to run (the default is the protein database). If it doesn't work for you, try changing the "UseBrowserProxy" on the configuration passed to the service - I always set it to false since I don't have a proxy server and it will fail.

WinForms BLAST app (julmar.com)

I don't claim any deep understanding of the BLAST services but hopefully this will give you enough to get started!

mark
May 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Hi,

Very thank, for your help.
I go to use your app how base to build the my app.
But, I don't know how to implement a async method in the asp.net using web forms.
I m searching information about subject to know.
Thank you, your post very helped me .

Paulo

On 16/05/2013 21:35, markjulmar wrote:
Hi Paulo,

Here's a very simple example of a Windows Forms application that takes a single sequence and submits it to NCBI BLAST. You can pick the database and program to run (the default is the protein database). If it doesn't work for you, try changing the "UseBrowserProxy" on the configuration passed to the service - I always set it to false since I don't have a proxy server and it will fail.

WinForms BLAST app (julmar.com)

I don't claim any deep understanding of the BLAST services but hopefully this will give you enough to get started!

--
Untitled Document

http://lattes.cnpq.br/6366946635162995

Coordinator
May 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Yes, that's a tricky problem because most of the BLAST services online are pretty slow. They don't commit a lot of resources to the online requests and so it can be a minute or more for the response, and with a really big request it might take longer than that. For GUI based apps it's no big deal since you can continue to loop and check for the response giving the user feedback or even letting them continue doing other things.

If you are doing some sort of web portal though this is harder. You could always do some kind of AJAX postback periodically to the server to see if it's got the response and then dynamically fill in a tag in the DOM with a little client-side scripting..

mark
May 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I'm was working in somethign like that, so I defined a queue of 10 blast jobs, sending the individual records to a BLAST job. checking if the BLAST response was correclty or not.

Leo