Windows Store Apps

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I recently ported the Mono version of .NET Bio to Windows Store Apps to play with it in that environment. Here's my results so far: http://julmar.com/blog/mark/?p=308

I'd like to re-create the Sequence Visualizer app, it will take a bit of time but it's totally doable. The hardest part I think will be transitioning to more of a "touch-oriented" interface vs. the mouse-based UI we have today. I think their might be some other interesting apps to be written which could then be published in the Windows Store.

mark
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM
This kind of topics, looks like very interesting, thanks
but a huge part of the scientific community still use, Windows 7 or Windows Xp. :( its a pitty
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Yes, it's too bad - but I expect time will fix that, particularly if there is a good value-add to newer analysis tools that have a better interaction factor allowing for easier discovery of information. That's our job I guess :-)
Developer
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
This looks quite cool!
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Nice work with Mono - I see a separate thread about that has been started.

Regarding a rewrite of the sequence assembler app; I was thinking that in reality there are two projects here. The Sequence assembler app has a lot of additional functionality, much of only marginal relevance but it was included here to demonstrate it. On the other hand, the viewing of assemblies is a useful utility.

Possibly any rewrite could produce two apps, one more of a testbed, the other a lightweight assembly browser?

What do you think?

Simon
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Cool!
Did you consider portable libraries as well`? I find them really useful, because you can support multiple platforms with a single source of bugs =D
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I did actually - the problem is that portable libraries exclude most of the I/O APIs (because they are all different on each platform) and that's a big chunk of Bio.dll. We really need to refactor all the formatters and parsers into the Bio.IO.dll assembly and then this would be pretty trivial. I found I/O to be the big breaking change with the Windows Store port, which isn't surprising given how it changed for that environment..