This project is read-only.

VALS Semester of Code

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Eric Schultz sent me this a few days ago. Looks very interesting, and obviously helps us build on new release features and cook books being discussed. This is pretty much the post in its entirety:

I wanted to let everyone know about the upcoming VALS Semester of Code pilot. VALS is a group dedicated to increasing links between higher education and industry in Europe. This summer and fall they’re piloting their Semester of Code. Based upon the successful Google Summer of Code model, their goal is get students across the world involved in open source communities. Instead of money, the students would receive college credit for their computer science classes. The hope is that students would benefit from experience in open source projects and projects would benefit from having new, dedicated community members developing as part of their studies.

VALS has contacted me to see if Outercurve and our project communities would like to be involved. I think this is a great opportunity to recruit new contributors to our project communities and get some significant tasks done without taking the time of core developers.
From the open source project end, the workload will be minimal. The timelines are as follows:
  • To be completed by August 31: A set of suggested student projects which could be completed in about a semester. Each student project requires a mentor who could provide up to 5 hours of one on one work per week. These suggested student project ideas don’t have to be too in depth; maybe a paragraph or two in length. It needs to be enough for the student to understand what’s being suggested
  • September 15-October 15: Students submit their proposals to the projects. They’re not required to match one of the suggestions but they usually do.
  • October 15-31: projects and mentors review and rate the student proposals
  • November 2014-June 2015: students complete their project upon the schedule they provided. The suggested time period is three months or so but all the work must be completed by the end of June 2015. Again that’s based upon the proposal’s schedule.
  • The mentor will have to be in contact with the student’s academic advisor (see next section) for grading purposes.
    One of the advantage of the Semester of Code versus other mentoring programs is the level of support for the mentors. Each student will have an academic advisor, probably a professor of theirs. This means the student has local supervision which should reduce the workload of the mentors from even Google Summer of Code (which wasn’t much to start off with). Additionally, the folks from VALS and myself are also here to provide support and advice as necessary.
So all that said, does anyone have any ideas for possible student projects? Please throw any ideas you have out here; we’re all experts in our own areas and it might spark more ideas.

Eric

PS: Semester of Code's website is: http://semesterofcode.com/