This project is read-only.

development environment

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Hi folks. I anticipate having some time in a month or so to contribute more code to the project. I have already been working with Rick Benge and Jim Hogan. Now, I would like to take this opportunity to solicit input from the rest of the team. Any advice on getting on-boarded and setting up my development environment would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers and Thanks in Advance
Sep 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Welcome again - maybe you can also help things along by sharing sone details of your current environment and where things are coming unstuck? We can also start to think about some of the tasks you might want to look at as well. Did you have a pet project related to your work that you wanted to consider?
Sep 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM
We have a lot of documentation (only slightly out of date) for onboarding here: https://bio.codeplex.com/documentation
Sep 15, 2014 at 4:03 AM
I am having trouble with incompatible issues.
Using visual studio 2013 Express for web I Cloned the Master repository
commit 26034c19938d, Jul 21, 2014.
When I open the solution (BIO.sln) Bio.Core, and Bio.PlatformHelpers projects will not open and say that they are Unsupported
I tried to open using visual studio 2013 Express for desktop and got the same error.
The Specific error message is: “These projects are either not supported or need project behavior impacting modifications to open in this version of visual studio. “
Sep 15, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Hi, I've installed VS2013 Desktop Express and cloned the repo, and I'm getting the same errors as you.

The problem is that VS Express does not support PCL projects (Bio.Core and Bio.WebServices and several others) and non-desktop projects (Android, iOS, Windows phone and Windows RT).

If you are intending to consume the .NET Bio libraries to develop your own software, a viable alternative might be to use Nuget to install the libraries into your solution. however, if you plan to contribute to .NET Bio, I guess that is not enough.

After a certain amount of googling, I turned up this discussion on stack overflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14551881/can-i-get-a-sometimes-portable-class-library-project-to-load-in-visual-studio.

The solution proposed there, if it can be called a solution, boils down to editing the .CSPROJ files and deleting the <ProjectTypeGuids>.... </ProjectTypeGuids> element which identifies the projects as incompatible with Express.

For your own personal use, this might be sufficient, but you'd want to be very careful not to push the now-broken CSPROJ files back into the GIT repo.

As an experiment, I deleted the ProjectTypeGuids element from the portable projects (Bio.Core, Bio.WebServices, Bio.Padena, Bio.Pamsam, Bio.Platform.Helpers.Desktop) in my clone (which I do not intend to sync back!).

As far as I can tell, this reduced solution loads fine after you restart VS, and appears to build OK. So it appears to be feasible to develop on VS Express. There may be issues with portability across to the various mobile platforms, but I honestly don't know how great these problems would be.

This is all a bit of a dirty hack, but if you are limited to use of VS Express I see little by way of options.
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM
According to this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg597391(v=vs.110).aspx

When you install the latest version of Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows, or apply Update 2 (or 3), you can then open these projects.

Mark
Sep 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM
I will download the latest commit and try both solutions when I get home tonight. My only concern is that I don’t want to mess around with the git clone that I created. I have not committed or branched from my local repository. Can I just delete the folder or is there something else that I need to do to insure that I do not cause a problem with the “Blessed” repository. Later, after some experimentation with a downloaded disconnected Branch I can clone with git and follow a normal Workflow.
Sep 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Sure, you can just clone it, copy that somewhere (without the hidden .git folder) and delete the clone. In fact, you don't have to commit at all - feel free to share your code here with everyone and we can integrate it into the .NET Bio builds as well. For a lot of code we try to push off to new assemblies just to keep the main core assemblies smaller in size.
Sep 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM
I see, cpatmoore and I were using the "Desktop" version rather than the "Windows" version of VS Express (I didn't realize VS Express had undergone a further speciation event).
That version requires Windows 8.1, which I do not have, so I can't test this out any further at present.
Sep 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Edited Sep 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM
I'd try installing the update and see if it then allows it to work with the desktop edition. You could also use a different IDE - SharpDevelop (http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/) supports these project types and Xamarin (www.xamarin.com) does as well. Both run on Windows (and Xamarin also runs on a Mac).

You wouldn't be able to load the Windows Phone or Windows Metro projects, but you probably don't care about those anyway.

Lastly, keep in mind that you don't need to load any of these unless you plan to modify the existing framework. If you are adding to the framework, or just want to use the classes in .NET Bio, then you should just create an app and use Nuget to add .NET Bio 2.0 to your project - this will drag in the pre-built binaries for your platform of choice.

mark
Sep 16, 2014 at 5:48 AM
I was able to download a copy of Windows 8.1 , then loaded Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows and was able to get to the source code and build.
Sep 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM
That's brilliant. Thanks to Mark and Lawrence for their efforts.

Charles - can you give us some idea of what you'd like to work on? feel free to start a new thread

jh