This project is read-only.

Visual Studio Community Edition

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Announced today, it's free .. and it totally supports .NET Bio. Go forth and build apps!!!
Nov 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM
That's awesome! I noticed everything is over at github as well, perhaps we should consider moving there someday...
Nov 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Yeah, I like Github, use it for other projects; but I'm not sure there's an easy transition to get all the history and such over.. The nice thing is that you can fork from it and pull in contributions really easily..
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Hey Mark! All the commit history could transfer easily, but we would lose the discussion forum, documentation, etc. That's all valuable enough, plus since you transferred everything to git on codeplex, we aren't missing out on much at all. Really the only thing I like is that on github you can setup pull requests to automatically run tests, which can't happen on codeplex (they never implemented git hooks, and at this stage I am not sure anyone actually works at codeplex... which is a shame because it was definitely the best for a short period of time). Really just meant to suggest github might be good in the distant future where we have that magical thing called "freetime" ;). There are a lot more invigorating things to do with the day than that though at present though, so wasn't a very serious suggestion.

But more importantly, all of us .NET folk want to know: It looks like the MS managed code base is now OSS and can compile on linux, will the runtime move over? I love Xamarin but their parallel GC has some, well... from my benchmarks the microsoft team really killed it on GC design and implementation for multi-core hardware. Can we expect the runtime to change?
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure. The problem (as I understand it) is proprietary technology and the concern that it would find it's way into competing products (primarily JVMs). So I don't know what Microsoft will do about that..
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Great news according to the Hanselman blog: "We are open sourcing the RyuJit and the .NET GC and making them both cross-platform." (http://www.hanselman.com/blog/).

This means we will get SSE instructions and the MS GC for .NET Bio. Amazing.

-N