What are the requirements for this release?
Microsoft Biology Foundation (MBF) Version 1.0
- Windows® XP SP3 or later, x86 or x64 versions
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- is a language-neutral bioinformatics tool kit built as an extension to the Microsoft .NET Framework. It implements a range of parsers for common bioinformatics file formats; a range of algorithms for manipulating DNA, RNA, and protein sequences; and a set of connectors to biological web services such as the U.S. National Center for Biotechnology Information’s Basic Local Alignment Search Tool.Microsoft Research Sequence Assembler 1.0
- The Sequence Assembler application is a demonstration
application useful only with small datasets, intended for use by biologist and laboratory technicians who are responsible for managing next-generation genomic sequencing data for alignment, assembly, and/or BLAST identification. Though many other full-featured applications provide similar functionality, the primary goal of offering this application is to expose the capabilities available in MBF. When coupled with the rich user interface (UI) elements that the Windows Presentation Foundation supports, the Sequence Assembler provides a unique combination of advanced application interface, controls, and visualization of the data. These features can be useful to scientists, researchers, and clinicians who work with genomic data, but more importantly, the Sequence Assembler is a full-featured sample application that can be extended, modified, and expanded to meet the needs of researchers.Microsoft Research Biology Extension 1.0 for Excel
- The Microsoft Research Biology Extension for Excel is a sample
application for biologists who are interested in, or already using, Microsoft Excel for their research. The extensible nature of Excel lends itself to the creation of a custom ribbon component labeled “Bioinformatics” in the top menu bar of the application. Through this customization, all the usual features of Excel remain available, but the biologist now has access to additional dedicated bioinformatics features. The Biology Extension can be further extended by developers to use other features in MBF. Developers can write custom bioinformatics applications by using the libraries of MBF and can add UI elements for those applications to the Biology Extension.