Venn diagram can't work

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I installed  pacakages BioExcel needs, everything looked fine except Venn diagram functional was still grey an could not be clicked.

Would you tell me how to fix the problem ?

Thank you so much

Wei

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Wei, first off which version of BioExcel did you install? Typically an item is grayed out because it is not available to use given the current state of the program. However I am able to click on the Venn Diagram item even without any data loaded. It then prompts me for the regions I want to use. So I am suspecting your install - which is why I am asking about the version etc.

Rick

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Thank you Rick

the version I used is NodeXL_1.0.1.195 and NodeXL_1.0.1.194, .NET Bio 1.0, and BioExcel 1.0. 

I can use all the other functions like Assemble, Genomic Intervals etc, and I also can open the NodeXL Excel template. so this problem is really confused me.

my PC is 64bit XP system SP2 with office2007, and it is Dell T5500

My IT installed office2007 under "Program Files (x86)" folder.

I hope the information can help you. I really appreciate your help as I am going to use Venn diagram with genomic intervals a lot, and there is no other package available (R, SAS, PERL, Python)

Wei

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Thank you Rick

the version I used is NodeXL_1.0.1.195 and NodeXL_1.0.1.194, .NET Bio 1.0, and BioExcel 1.0.

I can use all the other functions like Assemble, Genomic Intervals etc, and I also can open the NodeXL Excel template. so this problem is really confused me.

my PC is 64bit XP system SP2 with office2007, and it is Dell T5500

My IT installed office2007 under "Program Files (x86)" folder.

I hope the information can help you. I really appreciate your help as I am going to use Venn diagram with genomic intervals a lot, and there is no other package available (R, SAS, PERL, Python)

Wei

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Rickbe <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wei, first off which version of BioExcel did you install? Typically an item is grayed out because it is not available to use given the current state of the program. However I am able to click on the Venn Diagram item even without any data loaded. It then prompts me for the regions I want to use. So I am suspecting your install - which is why I am asking about the version etc.

Rick

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bio@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email bio@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Sincerely,
Wei Tang
Bio-X Center
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
1954 Hua Shan Rd
Shanghai 200030, China
Tel: +86-21-62933338, +86-21-62932779
Fax: +86-21-62822491
Nov 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM
I do not get it, I get everything from http://bio.codeplex.com/releases/view/74962 which only have 1.0 version available

would you show me where I can have the version 2 of them, is there another site?

Thank you so much

Wei

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Rickbe <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wei, please use the version 2 of both .NET Bio and Bioexcel. You can get to them from the download tab on this page. I don't know that this is the cause of your problem but unless you have a specific reason to use the 1.0 verions you should definitely move to the 2.0 versions. There are a myriad of advantages.

Please let me know if this is not possible. Once you have the 2.0 installed - if you still have the grayed out issue advise me and we can dig into this further. Thanks

Rick

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bio@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Sincerely,
Wei Tang
Bio-X Center
1954 Hua Shan Rd
Shanghai 200030, China
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Wei, I have NodeXL_1.0.1.195 installed with .NET Bio V1, and Bioexcel V1 from (http://bio.codeplex.com/releases/). Do you have multiple versions of NodeXL installed? Are these all Engligh language versions of the Operating System and Office BTW? I don't know how that might affect this piece but just trying to understand the difference between your system and mine.

One thing you can try is to uninstall and then reinstall. For some reason it appears Excel is graying that out because it believes it doesn't have the necesary components to work with that. The fact that you can open the NodeXl template is puzzling however.

Hopefully we can get this solved quickly for you.

Rick

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Wei, did a reinstall help? If not I have a second question. You noted you have a 64bit system. Did you also install the 64bit version of Office?

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Nope, I asked our IT, and he stunk as well :)

my PC is 64bit but office2007 is 32bit.

Thank you

Rick

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Rickbe <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wei, did a reinstall help? If not I have a second question. You noted you have a 64bit system. Did you also install the 64bit version of Office?

--
Sincerely,
Wei Tang
Bio-X Center
1954 Hua Shan Rd
Shanghai 200030, China
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Wei, I was following up with another user who had some issues. I had asked about his install and if he had any problems, He reported back

"With Win7 Enteprise 64 bits and Office 2010 Professional 32 bits, nodexl was recognized as installed and everything worked just fine."

Have you been able to make any progress on your problem? Or has it been resolved at this stage? Thanks

Rick - for the .NET Bio team

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
sorry Rick, we still can not fig it out, our IT tried a "clean" computer with XP 64 bit and office 2007 and still not made it. So we have to give it up.

I wonder if you can share the scripts in other formats, like R program, perl, python or Java.

Many thanks

Wei

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Rickbe <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wei, I was following up with another user who had some issues. I had asked about his install and if he had any problems, He reported back

"With Win7 Enteprise 64 bits and Office 2010 Professional 32 bits, nodexl was recognized as installed and everything worked just fine."

Have you been able to make any progress on your problem? Or has it been resolved at this stage? Thanks

Rick - for the .NET Bio team

--
Sincerely,
Wei Tang
Bio-X Center
1954 Hua Shan Rd
Shanghai 200030, China
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Wei, can you send me a screenshot perhaps? You can send to a-rickbe@microsoft.com. This is rather puzzling as I have no other reports of this and I can't duplicate it nor come up with a scenario that would cause the symptoms you describe.

Are you trying to load an XL file? Or which scripts are you referring to? I am not sure what you need in an alternate format?