This project is read-only.

Can't install Bio Ext for Excel because NodeXL installation not recognized

May 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I am trying to install the .Net Bio Extension for Excel 1.01. The Prerequistes dialog says NodelXL is not installed, although I have installed Node Excel Template ver 1.0.201 and can open it in Excel.

I have successfully installed .Net Bio 1.01. My machine is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I have MS Office 2007 (I think it is 32 bit). It is installed in S:\Program Files_x86\. Based on some other posts on this forum, I wonder whether the installation location of Excel has impacted the installers ability to detected NodeXL.

However, NodeXL is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\.

Can you tell me what registry entries or file locations might be tested by the installer to determine whether NodeXL is installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

May 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Hi Mark,

It's not a folder the installer looks for, it's a unique ID assigned to the product (NodeXL). BioExcel requires a minimum of NodeXL 1.0.105, I've never tried 1.0.2.xx - my guess is they changed their generated installer IDs when they bumped the version number. As a workaround, try uninstalling NodeXL and install an earlier version from nodexl.codeplex.com. I'll try installing the latest version tomorrow and see what's different.

Thanks for letting us know!

Mark Smith
May 4, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Mark:

I must have gotten the version number wrong; I think it must have been ver 1.0.1.201. The earliest I could find on the website was  ver 1.0.1.203, but I had already uninstalled my old version, so I downloaded and installed the latest version,  ver 1.0.1.209.

There was no difference in the behavior relative to the older version.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

May 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hi Mark,

It looks like Mark (Smith) was correct, the later versions of NodeXL changed something and the installer incorrectly identifies NodeXL as missing. I'll log it as a bug against the .NET Bio installer.

There is a workaround- you will find NodeXL version 1.0.1.113 still available for download under the 'Downloads' tab of nodexl.codeplex.com (the last entry on the 'Other Downloads' list). If you install this version first, the .NET Bio installer works fine. You can later update your NodeXL installation.

Simon

May 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
May 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM

It looks like installing the older version of NodeXL worked.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mark