This project is read-only.

Using SHO

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Hi all,

I had quick question about using Sho I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

Right now I work with Sho by writing code in a separate editor and then pasting it over by hand, which is something of a pain compared to Matlab or R or standard python code where you can usually write a script in an editor and then send it to the console terminal. I figured someone else must have this issue, and noticed in the training materials there is a section to change the startup script as: sys.Sho.Editor = "devenv.exe" Does anyone know what this is supposed to do? As far as I can tell there is no difference, but I was hoping to be able to edit code in VS and send it to Sho or something similar.

Also, out of curiosity does anyone know what the future of Sho is? When I first saw it seemed like it could be aweseome, but it appears to be a dead project now. I gather MS is not planning to open source it but thought someone might know.

Cheers,
N
Aug 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Hi Nigel,

The Sho.Editor key changes what editor is opened when you use the edit command in the Sho console window. This is to jump to the source for a module, function, method or class of an included module. It's documented in section 2.1.2 of the Book of Sho. So, type "edit(plot)" for example and it will jump to the source code of the plot module.

I tend to use the IronPython tools for Visual Studio and then paste it into Sho when I'm using it and actually building something substantial. You can, of course, just type right into the console but I only do that for quick and dirty scripts which I don't intend to save.

I agree it seems like a dead project now, it would be great if they open-sourced it, although I'm guessing the Intel MKL dependency prohibits that in some way.

mark
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Thanks for the response, good to know about the editor.

It would be AWESOME if we could somehow include a fork of Sho in .NET Bio that automatically loaded our libraries, etc. (I'd write an editor for it a la RStudio I would like it so much). Just in case anyone at MS knows someone who used to be involved with it... I actually think it might be okay to distribute it with the MKL, but even if that was a problem that work around would be relatively easy I think.

Thanks again,
N
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
This straight from one of the principal members of the SHO team:

SHO is indeed active, not so many new features but definitely being maintained and used - we're releasing version 2.1 imminently, and lots of folks around here use it regularly.

Hope that helps!
Aug 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM
thanks for checking in to that Simon! Good to know, and am glad to hear it is being maintained and used.
May 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM
SHO 1.0 is still mentioned at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/04f0c2dc-7e54-4f53-8e2b-3cffebb9cc14/ though (no 2.1) and I wonder if there's any doc around on what SHO is / how it works
May 19, 2015 at 7:00 PM
SHO is an IronPython shell with some graphing and additional math functions built in. It's quite interesting to play with.

When you install it, you will get the SHO cookbook which has some great samples and tips. In addition, there is a training module on this available from here: https://bio.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Training&referringTitle=Home&ANCHOR#home

Just download the training slides and one of them goes through SHO.

mark