.NET Bio Excel add-in

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Hi.
I've installed the .NET Bio Excel add-in (Excel 2010, Windows 7 Pro). The tab is not visible on the excel ribbon. It is present in the add-ins, but cannot be activated. Has anyone a suggestion how to solve this?

Peter
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Hi Peter,

This may be caused by a Trust issue.

I suggest that you take a look at the "Trust Center Settings..." dialog, from the "Trust Center" options tab. In that dialog there is a tab for "Add-ins" which has a checkbox to disable addins. If that is checked, clear it and restart Excel. Hopefully that will fix the problem...

Cheers, Lawrence.
Mar 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Hi Lawrence.
Thanks for a reply. Unfortunately, this is not it. The add-ins are not disabled in the Trust Center.

Peter
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Hi Peter,

There are no open issues for the Bio Excel add-in currently, and as far as I know it is no longer under active development - but it should work on the platform you describe. Some suggestions for you:

The documentation states it is compatible with 'any version of Windows that runs Office' from XP SP3 onwards, and Office 2007 (which is just out of date documentation, I have run it on Office 2010 and 2013). Also, it works with version 4.5 of the .NET Framework as well as 4.0.
  • Are you running in an 'unusual' configuration? I have seen bugs appear, for example, in French-language versions of Windows but not in the others
  • Do you get any error messages when you start Excel, or when you attempt to use the add-in?
  • Did you upgrade Office without uninstalling and reinstalling the add-in? This could give rise to the issue you describe
  • You should check that your machine is configured in compliance with the documentation, as I describe above
Assuming these offer no insights, possibly there is an issue with the installation - you should uninstall the add-in, download it again and reinstall. The installer does a check for required components, and should prompt you if it can't locate something.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling Office, then installing the add-in. This is tedious I know, but I can recall cases from personal experience where this has fixed a mystery issue.

I realize this isn't much comfort - but the add-in does work on the system you describe, so the most likely source of the problem is your configuration.

Simon
Mar 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Hi Simon.

Thanks for the comments.
I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the add-in, but it didn't help. Everything else seems to be OK. I also do not get any error messages when I start Excel or try to activate the add-in. The add-in tab will just not appear on the Excel ribbon.
Regarding the 'unusual configuration', I'm using a Czech-language version of Windows....

Peter
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Hi Peter,

I am not aware of the BioExcel add-in having any problems with a non-US English version of Windows, but I have come across similar issues in other software. It would be a useful test to try to install on an English version of Windows, if you have access to one.

If this turns out not to be the issue, I'm not sure what to try next - but as an open source add-in, you would be welcome to examine the code and run in debug mode to see if you can locate - and fix - the issue. If you choose to do this, we can locate someone in the community that can get you started.

Simon
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Hello Peter,

Just a couple of points of clarification...

Which version of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime (VSTOR) do you have installed?

I have been using the Visual Studio 2010 version in my work with no apparent difficulty. The download address is: (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40790)

Also, I assume that what you mean by "activate the add-in" is to navigate to "Options" -> "Add-ins" -> "Manage COM Add-ins", where we would be expecting a checkbox to activate the add-in. Is this right?

Thanks, Lawrence.
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Hello Lawrence.

Thanks for the comments.

I've installed the VSTOR 2010 version.

And yes, the steps you are describing is what I mean by 'activating the add-in'.

Peter
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Hi Simon.

I do not think I will go beyond trying to fix this problem on the configuration I'm using now. It is not an indispensable add-in for me, as I have not use it previously. I just really wanted to give it a try.

Peter
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Hmm....that is strange.
I checked the documentation - .NET Bio Extension for Excel User Guide.
Here was the listed System Requirements:

The .NET Bio Extension can be installed on any computer that can run Microsoft Office 2007, as summarized at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101668651033.aspx

Your computer must have the following software installed:
• Any version of the Windows® operating system that can run Office 2007, which includes Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3 and later versions of Windows
• Microsoft Office Excel 2007 or Excel 2010
• The NodeXL template for Excel, available at http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL
• Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.0, available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992

It has been a while - do you have the NodeXL template installed?

Simon - it also appears that this link is no longer working....http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101668651033.aspx
If you can find a replacement I can update the guide I do believe

Rick
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Hi Rick.

Thanks for your effort.

I installed only the VSTOR 2010 and Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.0 before installing the .NET Bio Extension. So, now I've installed also the NodeXL template for Excel and the .NET Bio tab is still not visible.

I also launched the the NodeXL template and got the following error message (part of it is in Czech, so I'm not sure how helpful this is - the text in bold is my translation). It is describing a problem with the loading of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime, Version=10.0.0.0

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Nelze načíst soubor nebo sestavení Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a nebo jeden z jejich závislých prvků. Systém nemůže nalézt uvedený soubor.
Název souboru: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
v System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
v System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
v System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
v System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
v System.AppDomain.Load(String assemblyString)

WRN: Protokolování vazeb sestavení je VYPNUTO. ==>WRN: Protocoling of the configuration connections is OFF
Chcete-li povolit protokolování chyb vazeb sestavení, nastavte hodnotu registru [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) na hodnotu 1.
Poznámka: Protokolování chyb vazeb sestavení ovlivňuje výkon systému.
Chcete-li tuto funkci vypnout, odeberte z registru hodnotu [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Hi Rick,

A working VSTO link is in Lawrence's response above - and thanks for updating the doc!

Unfortunately, the most recent version of Bio Excel removed the dependency on the NodeXL template - so although it appears to throw some errors here, I doubt they relate to the current issue.

Simon
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2014 at 4:03 AM
Thanks for trying it further Peter, and to Rick for taking a look at it as well. I'm not sure where to go from here on this one - Lawrence, can you spot anything in this?

jh
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Please forgive my delayed response Peter. I have tried hard to replicate your problem without success.

However, it appears from your exception text that the VSTO runtime may not have installed cleanly. You might check the assembly cache (C:\Windows\assembly) to see if the DLL is present. This may give us a clue as to how to proceed.
Mar 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Thanks all for the effort.

I have two versions of VSTO runtime present in the C:\Windows\assembly folder:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0

I've actually stopped trying to resolve the issue. So, please, bother with it only if solving the problem is of a general use.

Peter