Transition to Github; .NET Foundation

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM
Hi folks
Over the past few weeks we have discussed the idea of migrating the project to Github. In concert with this, we have also been considering the ownership of the project in such a migration. At present the project is owned by the Outercurve foundation, but as people will have seen from an earlier thread, we have also considered the alternative of the .NET Foundation, and we received some good advice and feedback from Martin on the other thread.

We have attempted to contact Outercurve and there has been no response and my view is that they are inactive and that we should look to the future. I would therefore propose that we:
(i) commence migration to GitHub
(ii) undertake whatever steps are needed to move transfer ownership from outercurve to the .NET Foundation.
(iii) use the opportunity provided by the migration process to consider those aspects of the library which are plainly core, those which are peripheral and should be maintained, and those which might perhaps be better deprecated.

Anyway, a quick post for now to get the ball rolling, and we can proceed over the coming week or two. Does anyone have comments on or objections to this basic plan?

cheers
jh
Developer
Jun 27, 2015 at 9:46 PM
I think we should also take this opportunity to clean up and shrink the repo prior to the move. The tests in particular seem to have become rather messy. Looking at the repo, we appear to have duplicate files in the following paths:
bio/Tests/TestData/TestUtils/
bio/Source/Tests/TestData/TestUtils/
bio/Source/Tests/Bio.Tests/TestUtils/
Which is something of a mess and should probably be consolidated. Does anyone know which of these should hold which data?
Developer
Jun 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Okay, I just added some commits that cleaned up the testing framework quite a lot, the big changes were:
  • Removed all redundant data
  • Unified how test data was accessed. Before we had a combination of shared projects, post-build copy commands, and links. Now all test data should be accessed through the shared project TestData.
I think the next big thing will to move all the Util projects out into their own repository, that can depend on the main library via a nugget package or other link.
Jul 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Edited Jul 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM
Hey folks.

In terms of joining the .NET Foundation we have all the paperwork from OuterCurve that we need from a document they signed back on July 22nd 2014. Therefore all we need now is to make sure the .NET Bio community are happy to join the .NET Foundation. I suggest it would be helpful if folks added a comment to this thread with a "1" if they are in favor, "0" if they don't care or "-1" if they object.

What does joining the .NET Foundation actually mean? Take a look at the About page for some more information, but would probably also be good to get together to have chat. Unfortunately, I'm about to head out on vacation so I've set up a Google Hangout for July 22nd at 8pm UK time (12 noon Pacific) when I'm back in case anyone wants to meet then to talk about things.

https://plus.google.com/events/cmrbai6gterru2isenqeaud00fs

We'll also talk about things like the CLA Automation and how to enable that for your new GitHub repositories and if you need any help with any infrastructure such as build servers, sharing secrets between the committers (like database passwords, SSH keys) etc. But it would also be a good chance for me to get to know the project and the team better so that I can make sure we are doing everything we can to help you be successful but also advocate on your behalf.

If that time doesn't work or you would prefer Skype or a conference call just let me know and I'll set that up. Looking forward to seeing if there is anything we can do to help out.

Good luck with the GitHub move - let me know if I can help there at all. My email is martin@dotnetfoundation.org if you want to ping me about anything while I'm out on vacation.

Martin.
Developer
Jul 6, 2015 at 7:19 PM
+1 from me, and July 22nd works, in my calendar. Thanks for the input and help Martin!
Developer
Jul 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM
1 from me also, I will try to make the July 22nd date.
Cheers
Jul 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM
Just wanted to remind folks about the hangout tomorrow, 12noon pacific, 8pm UK.

https://plus.google.com/events/cmrbai6gterru2isenqeaud00fs

Hope to see you there. If you have any questions before then just let me know.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM
Hi Guys
Was just going to do the same post, but I won't be able to make 12 noon pacific as that will be about 5AM Thursday here. Please go ahead for now and I will sync with people afterwards.

cheers
jh
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM
I'll try to join for a bit, but I have another call at 2:30 CST. I have pushed some updates into the master branch, as well as rebuilt the Nuget packages in preparation for us to move this over the Github.
Developer
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Trying to join the call, but clicking on the link (or the video on the link), doesn't seem to do much.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:06 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM
Looks like it's actually 3:00p CST, which would be 1pm PST, not noon.

EDIT: never mind.. the link says that, but Martin is on now.
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM
Hmm - I'm on now. No one see me?
Developer
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:09 PM
I can hear you! Not sure how to talk. Tradition or google hangouts seems good
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Well - that was a bit of a fail on Hangouts. Sorry about that. At least the old fashioned phone call seemed to work!

As promised, below is a link to the questionnaire that helps pull the information together that we need when creating your project information pages etc. If someone can take a first pass at pulling the data together and send it along to martin@dotnetfoundation.org that would be great.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C7A08AE2600D197A%21606093

If Mark/Jim or someone wants to declare when they think you have reached consensus as a community that a move to the .NET Foundation is what you want then I'll reach out to the Foundation Board of Directors and get the paperwork done. The questionnaire includes a section about what infrastructure you would like to get in place but drop me a line over email as well if you need anything from me.

Speak soon,

Martin.
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM
I have moved the source code over to https://github.com/dotnetbio/bio

Going forward, any changes or work should be done to that codebase.
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:29 PM
Ouch!!!

That's lost all the history, not a good idea. Since the code is in Git here there is really no reason to lose history like that. It might be important one day for any number of reasons (from archeology to legal defense)
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM
More constructively (at least I think so, I've never actually done this)... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1484648/how-to-migrate-git-repository-from-one-server-to-a-new-one
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:41 PM
Hi Ross,

I did think about that but I my thinking was a brand new project was the way to go, especially since we are only moving a part of the system over, but perhaps we should carry it over and then break the link between the two repos. I'll check into that tomorrow .. any other thoughts guys?
Developer
Jul 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Hi Mark,

I would have preferred to keep the history all else being equal, but if it's any hassle to place it online I wouldn't worry about. I am also not sure how keeping all the old stuff affects the size of the repo, we did a lot of trimming of test data/projects, and I think it's important that "git clone" doesn't require users to have a fast internet connection or a lot of disk space.

-Nigel
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2015 at 12:22 AM
History is back :)
Aug 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM